In Case You're Not Interested in Reading... This is What I've Been Up To:

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Chivalry Is Not Dead

On my way in to work today, I was getting off the elevator on the 11th floor and I noticed how the gentleman also exiting waited for me to exit first. He was older (and no doubt wiser) and actually closer to the door than I was... but he stepped back and let me go before him. It is incredible how that simple action can make you feel so special!

As I have gone about my daily activities I have begun to notice these small moments of respect in abundance! I see it in the man who stands holding the door for me, waiting while I take extra long because my heels do not allow me to move quite so fast. I see it in my boss, who always makes sure to list a womans name first on any reports, who gives up the bigger hotel room to a woman co-worker/peer.

Noticing these practices brings to mind all of the little things that I love... I love it when a guy opens my car door for me, or places his hand on the small of my back to lead me through a room. I love it when guys try extra hard not to swear in my presence, just because I am a woman. The warmth I receive from countless offered jackets when I am shivering is immeasurable. I appreciate the neighbors who come out to help with the heavy garbage cans. I am indebted to the men who come help me move my heavy furniture, I would NEVER be able to do it on my own. When I have car trouble, my first call is always to a guy and he is always there before I can even say thank you or start to cry.

Who ever said that chivalry is dead? Oh my gosh, it is amazingly present. I know I am old fashioned. Maybe that is the reason I love Country Dancing so much, it puts us back into our gender roles. We stand on the edge of the floor, waiting for a guy to come ask us to dance. Out on the floor, I depend on him to lead... so I can choose to follow. I love being a woman. I love the men that allow me to feel loved and special because of it.

No comments: